September Storms – Get your premises ready!
September has often been synonymous with storms. Here are 10 useful tips on how to get your homes and commercial premises ready.
- Clean Gutters in order to avoid water overflows from blocked gutters. All leaves and debris need to be cleared and the roofs, terraces and yards cleaned.
- Repair gutters – a damaged gutter will not cope with a heavy downpour.
- Check skylights and water proofing. The roof is the most obvious point of entry for rain.
- Inspect the property siding. Check for damage, cracks, and holes. Seal up leaks and make sure the paint is in good condition. If it isn’t, consider getting the house painted before winter really sets in.
- Weatherstrip windows and doors to seal out drafts, minimize heat loss and avoid water damage.
- Sump pump: If your basement or garage is susceptible to flooding, consider buying a sump pump. If your home already has one, be sure it is in good working order.
- Cover and protect outdoor furniture, barbecues, outdoor equipment, and firewood with heavy tarps. Secure the tarps with ropes or heavy objects such as bricks.
- Close canopies and umbrellas to avoid damage to your own and your neighbours’ property.
- Have trees trimmed, especially if they’ve become weakened by drought. When laden with rainwater, weak trees can snap or become easily uprooted.
- Secure Solar Panels. Check for loosened or rusty bolts and ensure that the frame and modules are firmly secured.
Sometimes, even after taking all the above precautions, you can still be hit by a storm but fear not, we’re here to help with insurance solutions. As your appointed brokers allow us to handle your claim for you and get you back on your feet in no time at all.